Thursday, January 27, 2011

What's for dinner.....Greek anyone??

If you need to know anything about Astoria, Queens- know that it has the largest Greek population in New York City. Being that there are so many Greeks there- it comes with the territory that there are also very many Greek restaurants and I have grown to love and appreciate Greek cuisine!! I don't know if it's the Greek wine, olive oil, bread, saganaki (fried Greek cheese served atop bread), lemon potatoes or fresh fish- everything is just DELISH!!!There were not that many Greek restaurants that I was able to enjoy growing up in Chicago- but in New York- there are many DELISH spots you have to check out in and out of Queens.

I need to start with the best and most popular spot on this list- Taverna Kyclades. Or the "blue awning restaurant" as I use to call it until I learned how to actually say the authentic Greek pronunciation. :)




WOW......just.....WOW




This small Greek establishment located in Astoria has caught the liking of not only Astoria dwellers but people from all over. It is authentic, fresh, simple and perfectly made. Provided you make a reservation or not- be prepared to wait quite a while and I mean wait- the last time I went on a Wednesday night and there was a 2 hour waiting list. This place is always busy no matter what day it is, but its worth the wait.  You don't just have to stand there- grab a drink at one of the bars nearby and they will call you when your table is ready! This place is a definite MUST TRY.

Second on my list:
Kellari Taverna




This adorably designed and decorated Greek restaurant is on the top of my list for their gorgeous display of imported fish, delish saganaki and great menu. They also have a Greek wine cellar with a selection of 250+ bottles to choose from and yummy desserts. It's a great spot to go on a date or with a group of people.


They have two locations in New York and one in Washington, DC. They offer great hospitality and don't let you leave until you are fully satisfied. :) I have been satisfied every time I have been here- so go and check it out for yourself!

My third choice on this list is Barbonia.



Not sure if it's the rustic setting, romantic candlelight, or the overall feel of this place but it's got my vote. This restaurant serves more of a Mediterranean-style menu but very much like Greek food. They offer special happy hour deals during the week, are a part of Restaurant-week, and offer a very unique menu. One of my favorites was the Colorado Lamb Kebab that is cooked to order and baked inside of a terracotta covered flat bread. I had no idea what they were bringing over to me but it was a very cool served entree and you have to break open the bubble that bakes over the lamb to get to the lamb. Very cool!

Lastly, one more place that has gotten me to want to go back is Estiatorio Milos.


This Zagat rated restaurant offers the finest of everything and pride themselves on it too. From the organic produce, to the freshest fish and ingredients they can offer.  It is more upscale than then the other three restaurants and the prices speak for themselves, but if you can make a trip to eat here- you won't be disappointed. They have a large array of fish to choose from, 100% pure goat cheese made Tzatziki spread and other great appetizers, and also a large wine selection. They have a bar, private rooms, open table seating as well as open views of the kitchen, salad bar and a large fish display.




New York Fresh fish

There are very many other Greek Restaurants to choose from but these 4 are topping my list. Greek food is unlike other types of cuisine and if you have never tried it- LIVE A LITTLE! I very much enjoying dining on Greek food and don't mind a good glass of Greek wine any day of the week either. :)

ENJOY!!


XO
Tina



No comments:

Post a Comment